The State of New Hampshire Fire Code has ruled that any multi-family building, having more than 3 units, shall not have a grill, etc. that makes a fire, and could therefore endanger the entire structure. An excerpt, and the link to the entire statement, are below.
Grill Use at Multi-Unit Dwellings
For other than one- and two-family dwellings, no hibachi, grill, or other similar devices used for cooking, heating, or any other purpose, shall be used or kindled on any balcony or under any overhanging portion, or within 10 ft. (3 m) of any structure.
Grill Safety Recommendations:
- Grills shall be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications and instructions.
- Grills should never be used inside any building, garage, shed, or breezeway.
- Do not use grills under building overhangs or covered areas (e.g., awnings, umbrellas, porches or gazebos).
- Keep loose clothing away from any cooking surfaces and beware of grease flare-ups.
- Check the hoses on gas grills for any cracks or deterioration.
- Check all connections to the gas tank for leaks by applying a soap and water solution to the hose and connections. If you see any bubbles on the hose or any connection turn off the gas, clean off the soap solution, and check all of the connections for tightness and recheck the hose and connections using the soap solution again.
- Never leave your grill unattended and keep children and pets at least 3 ft. away from the grill area.